There are several different things that make replacement windows in Calgary unique. These include the window style, the number of panes of glass, and even the materials from which the frames are made. You should understand the variations and how they work together in order to purchase the best possible windows to suit your home’s unique needs.
Styles of Replacement Windows in Calgary
The first thing to consider when buying different types of replacement windows in Calgary is the window style itself. There are several from which to choose, and while you always have the option to replace an existing style with a new window of the same style, you can switch styles, as well. When you ask for your free estimate, be sure to tell us which windows you currently have and which window style you would like to have.
- Casement Windows – Casement windows are hinged at the sides or the top and swing outward to provide ventilation. Sometimes, one of the two sashes may be fixed, but this is not always the case. Awning windows are very much like casement windows, but they are hinged at the top and open outward from the bottom.
- Bay and Bow Windows – These window styles project forward from the exterior of the home. Bay windows have three sashes while bow windows have four or more. Some of these sashes may be fixed and others may be adjustable, depending on your preferences.
- Sliding Windows – Sliding windows move to the left or right. They may have two or three sashes, and one or more sashes could be adjustable. Sometimes, windows tilt inward for easier cleaning, but this is not always the case.
- Hung Windows – Hung windows are very common. These usually have two sashes, one above the other, and in most cases, the top sash is stationary while the bottom sash moves up and down for ventilation. Variants do exist, and some hung windows may also tilt.
- Custom Windows – Custom windows are considered to be anything that falls outside of the traditional “standard” shapes and measurements. Some custom windows are more common than others.
Single, Double, and Triple-Pane Glass
Another variant in replacement windows in Calgary is the number of panes of glass. Single panes provide very little insulation against the cold, so these are not recommended. Double- and triple-panes offer additional protection, and some may have air or gas between each layer of glass to serve as some additional insulation. Though triple-pane windows offer the most insulation, most homeowners find that double-pane windows provide ample comfort and savings.
The Differences in Frame Materials
Finally, you can even choose the type of frame you want when it comes to replacement windows. The most affordable option is typically vinyl, but it does not hold up as well in the Calgary climate as other materials. Other options include fiberglass, steel, or even aluminum, but nothing provides the same longevity and style as a classic wood window frame, which is popular in Calgary, but also the most expensive of all the options.
As you can see, there are numerous options available to you when it comes to choosing the right replacement windows in Calgary to suit your needs. From the style of window to the frame material and even the number of panes of glass, we here at Canadian Choice™ provide a variety of choices to suit your preferences and your budget.
* By providing your email and phone number above, you consent to receive communications from Canadian Choice Windows & Doors with promotional information regarding company events, news, and other applicable announcements. You may withdraw this consent by unsubscribing at any time.