If it’s time to invest in new residential windows, checking into rebate programs is a wise move. Rebates help to offset a portion of the cost of installing new windows, something that homeowners can appreciate. Qualifying for a rebate does involve determining which one is best for you and making sure you comply with all the required criteria. If you see new windows in your future, here are some things you should know about window rebates in BC and what to expect.
Who’s Eligible for a Rebate?
Rebates for replacement BC are one of several opportunities property owners in British Columbia can seek. There are also rebates for insulation, new doors, and other types of home improvements that have to do with enhancing the home’s energy efficiency. In order to receive a rebate, it’s necessary to meet the basic requirements. Here’s what it will take to qualify for a BC Hydro window rebate:
- The property owner must provide permission for the windows upgrade to take place.
For example, a tenant may work out a deal with the owner to replace the windows in exchange for discounts on the lease or rental. The tenant cannot apply receive the rebate without the express permission of the owner.
- You must have an established and active account with either BC Hydro or FortisBC. At the time that you make the application, your account must be in good standing. That means no balances that are considered to be in arrears.
- How long the account has been in place matters. You must have at least 12 consecutive months of utility billing history in order to qualify.
- The type of dwelling also makes a difference. Currently, it must be one of the following: a single-household structure, a row home, a townhouse, or a duplex. Mobile homes are also eligible, but they must rest on a permanent foundation.
- The contractor who handles the removal of the old windows and the installation of the new ones must be properly licensed. That includes having a valid GST number. Your contractor can provide the necessary confirmation that he or she possesses the necessary credentials.
Current lists of all the information needed to file an application can be obtained from the BC Hydro site or from governmental agencies that accept and review the applications. Take the time to download the list and make sure you have everything gathered before starting work on the application. Doing so will make the process easier.
Are There Upgrade Options?
As of 2020, there are upgrade options that you can seek to include in your window rebate BC. They are based on specifics about the windows involved. With a window that has a U-Factor of 1.40 – 1.23 (W/m2-K), you can receive a rebate of $50.00 CA, with a maximum rebate of $1,000 CA. This is known as a Tier 1 rebate and is available anywhere in British Columbia, with the exception of Vancouver.
If you go with windows with U-factors of 1.22 (W/m2-K) or less, the rebate is $100 CA per window, with a total maximum rebate of $3,000 CA. This is a Tier 2 rebate, and is available anywhere in the province.
What About the Window Materials? Must They Meet Certain Standards?
It’s not just the applicant and the contractor who have to comply with certain standards. The windows used for the upgrade must also meet specific qualifications. Here are some examples:
- They must be certified by at least one of the following bodies: the Canadian Standards Association, Labtest Certification, the National Fenestration Council, or Intertek Canada.
- Meet the metric U-Factor associated with Tier 1 or Tier 2.
- The windows must be designs other than skylights.
Is the Application Process Difficult?
Applications for BC Hydro rebates on windows are designed to be simple, easy to follow, and allow ample space for responses. Choosing to download the list of data required before you begin to fill out the application is recommended. Doing so allows you to ensure that everything is at your fingertips and there will be no need to stop and search for some bit of information that will answer the next question.
Submissions may be made by post or you can remit the application and essential documents online. Remember to check the application carefully before submitting anything. Make sure that nothing is left out will decrease the odds of a rejected application and the need to submit a corrected one.
How Much of a Rebate Can I Receive?
The tier is one key factor that determines the rebate amount that you will receive. How many windows you replace also makes a difference. Replacing six windows will generate a lower rebate than one that involves the replacement of twelve windows.
With both Tier 1 and Tier 2 rebate applications, there is a maximum rebate amount that will apply. As of 2020, the maximum Tier 2 rebate is $3,000 CA. You’ll know how much you’re allowed by the time the application is completed.
When Will I Know That My Rebate is Approved?
You’ll be able to track the progress of the rebate online. By creating an account and logging in from time to time, it’s easy to see where it is in the process. This simple approach helps to ensure property owners know that their applications for window replacement rebates BC were received and are currently under consideration. Once the rebate is approved, you will also be able to confirm that via your account interface.
Does a Rebate Really Matter?
Is the time and effort involved with submitting BC energy rebates windows worth it? Many property owners would say yes. The new windows do begin to pay for themselves immediately in terms of reducing the amount of energy needed to control the temperature indoors. Receiving a rebate adds to the savings and provides funds that the property owner can use to make additional improvements and possibly apply for more energy rebates.
The point in seeking BC government rebates on windows is to make upgrading the current windows more affordable for property owners. At the same time, the rebates encourage owners to make changes that help to reduce energy consumption. Consider the condition of your current windows and what new ones could do in terms of making it easier to heat and cool your home. Once you decide that new BC windows are in order, begin preparing to apply for a rebate. You’ll be glad that you did.
* By providing your email and phone number above, you consent to receive communications from Canadian Choice Windows & Doors with promotional information regarding company events, news, and other applicable announcements. You may withdraw this consent by unsubscribing at any time.